- This event has passed.
Understanding Sexual Violence(s) in the Classroom
Facilitator: Dr. Victoria Kannen, Laurentian University
In this workshop, participants will explore the complexity of sexual violence(s) in classrooms. Working through the various ways that violence and harassment can be experienced, topics stemming from the Sexual Assault and Sexual Violence Protocol will be discussed. We will also be discussing the role of gender, age, race, dis/ability, and so on in relation to our experiences in the classroom. The aim of the workshop is to work as a group to begin to develop pedagogical strategies in response to these concepts and experiences.
- The intent of the workshop
- Discuss potential triggers, resources, and safety
- Working through language on sexual violence and sexual harassment. What can these terms mean?
- Discuss examples
- Discussing the role of power in the classroom (as multi-dimensional)
- How bodies and language are sites of power
- Consider intent versus effects
- Moving Forward
- Trauma-informed teaching + bystander intervention
- The role of empathy in the classroom