- This event has passed.
Academic Accommodations for College Students
To attend this session please contact Seija Korpela at email@example.com
Presenters: Mike Condra, Ph. D. Eleanor M. Condra, M.Ed.
- Academic accommodations: the new landscape
- Complexities and challenges in the accommodation process
- Specific challenges:
- Mental health
- Retroactive accommodations
- Attendance, participation requirements
NOTE: The session will include a brief introduction and a short overview of key concepts and issues
- What is the scope of the college’s duty to accommodate a student with a previously undiagnosed disability?
- Must a student specifically request to be accommodated or is the duty triggered by other considerations?
- The role, complexity and determination of Essential Requirements
- Limits of accommodation and the concept of Undue Hardship
- Documentation requirements
- Procedural and substantive fairness in the human rights context
The major portion of each session will be devoted to Case Vignettes which illustrate both the application of the concepts and the key challenges of providing academic accommodation. To ensure that the session is highly relevant and applicable to Cambrian, some of the cases will be provided by Cambrian College.